There were certain instances in my time when I wished I could turn wood into lumbar by myself. Probably you felt it too when you had found a fell tree in your backyard or just wanted some lumbar for construction purposes.
Getting this done professionally can be very expensive, and often the price tag will make the DIYers question the viability of it twice. This is where the chainsaw mills come in.
You can get the best chainsaw mills for a reasonable price, and these will help you turn wood into lumbar easily. However, if this is the first time that you’re buying one of these, it’s completely normal for you to be confused.
To help you with this process, we’re going to share the 7 best chainsaw mill setups that you can buy right now!
Our 7 Best Chainsaw Mills Reviews
In this section, you’ll find our top picks. All of these products will be listed with their advantages as well as disadvantages so that it’s easier for you to determine which one’s suitable for you.
1. ALASKAN Granberg Chain Saw mill
At the very outset, we have the Alaskan Granberg chainsaw mill. Granberg is known for revolutionizing chainsaws around the world, and it’s considered that they provide the best chainsaw mills on the market.
This one from the same company boasts some convenient features. There’s a clamp that will allow you to tighten the chainsaw on the wood, which will help you use it more easily.
It also features a clear polycarbonate safety guard. This guard will not only keep you safe from any flying debris, but it’ll also help you see the log underneath due to the transparent build.
You’ll be able to clamp this chainsaw mill on any log or wood without requiring any drilling, which is another plus. The aircraft-grade aluminum build stays rust-free and lasts long.
- The clear safety guard will help you see the log underneath
- Is very convenient to use due to the safety clamp on top
- High-quality aircraft-grade aluminum makes it durable and long-lasting
- Clamps on the wood or log without requiring any drilling
A bit hard to get started with this one
2. Haddon Lumbermaker
The Haddon Lumbermaker is a chainsaw mill that’s designed to help you saw vertically on wood or a piece of log.
If you’re willing to make true 4×4 and 6×6, then this is one of the top chainsaw mills that you can buy right now. What makes this suitable for doing so is the accuracy of the cuts, as it doesn’t make the sides jagged.
This is a very inexpensive tool, but it will allow you to cut the wood into planks, beams, as well as boards. There’s also a 30-page manual that comes with this package. This manual will inform you of everything you want to know about this mill.
You can install this on any chainsaw, and the process is very straightforward. These also boast a high-quality build, so you can use them for years to come.
- Comes with a 30-page manual for easier usage
- Relatively cheaper than most other chainsaw mills on the market
- It Will allows you to create true 4×4 and 6×6 boards perfectly
- Can fit any chainsaw with a simple process
- Assembling this chainsaw mill will take some effort and time
3. HiHydro Portable Chainsaw Mill
HiHydro Portable Chainsaw Mill is another product made in the USA, and it performs amazingly. This chainsaw mill comes with Aluminum rails that are well-finished. There are some steel components in it too, but those are chromed.
As we can see, this one is constructed to last longer. The aluminum rails won’t gather any rust and will function smoothly over the years.
It’s very easy to assemble as well. You’ll get an instruction manual with the package, and this manual will explain the process using pictures and diagrams. You’ll have a smooth experience assembling and installing it.
This high-quality mill will help you cut lumber or beams between 0.5″ and 13″ thickness. The maximum width supported by this mill is 36″, which should be enough for most.
- High-quality aluminum rails function smoothly over the years
- The steel components are chromed to prevent rust build-up
- A maximum supported width of 36″ makes it suitable for most
- Very easy to assemble with the help of the diagrams on the manual
- You’ll need to purchase a winch as it’s hard to push with hands
4. Farmertec Portable Chainsaw Mill
The Farmertec Portable chainsaw mill is very easy to use, making it one of the top choices for beginners and DIYers. These are 48″ mills that cover a wide area. You can adjust both the height and the width of the planks that you’re working on, offering a much more comfortable working experience.
A maximum bar length of 48″ will allow you to work on huge pieces of wood. As the bar is adjustable, you’ll be able to work on smaller things as well. If you can attach the right-sized chainsaw to this, it’ll even let you cut trees or wood in half.
- The height and width can be adjusted, allowing you to cut all sizes of wood
- A combination of steel and aluminum makes this a robust yet light mill
- You’ll get a set of assembly tools with the package, which will help you set it up
- With the right chainsaw, you’ll be able to cut wood in half with this
- Instructions for assembly aren’t provided, so it can be tough for a first-timer
5. SHZOND 14″ – 48″ Chainsaw Mill
This is a versatile chainsaw mill, and it comes from the brand SHZOND. It’s a heavy-duty chainsaw mill that will allow you to turn wood and logs into slabs with a thickness ranging from 1/2″ to 12″.
What’s amazing is that this doesn’t require you to drill the wood or the log you’re working on to function. The clamping mechanism will help you hook this onto a log easily and effortlessly.
Plus, it’s also height and width adjustable, so you’ll be able to cut the slabs in any size and shape. It can be attached to your chainsaw easily. It can work on logs with a diameter of 48″ maximum, and it can be adjusted to 14″ minimum.
- Can be attached directly to the chainsaw, making usage more convenient
- It’s a portable system, so you’ll be able to transport it easily
- You’ll get a flat surface that’ll help you get flat and even curves
- A great adjustability range of 14″ to 48″ makes it extremely versatile
- The user manual isn’t that descriptive
6. Alaskan Mark-IV Chainsaw Mill
As we’ve told previously, Granberg is one of the leading brands when it comes to chainsaw mills. This is the second product from Granberg that we’ll review today, and like the first one, this one too offers some great features.
This one is a huge mill, and it can cut trees with even 72″ diameter, making it one of the best and most suitable mills for larger projects. You can also attach chainsaws on double-ended bars of 84″. This will allow you to cut beams that are 68″ in width.
You’ll be able to attach up to 120cc chainsaws on this. The components are made of aircraft-grade aluminum and steel. The steel is zinc-coated to avoid rust, and this works great.
- It Will let you cut thick logs with even 72″ diameters
- Very easy to set up and use
- Let’s you attach chainsaws of 120cc or more power
- The steel is zinc-coated to avoid rust
Getting such a huge chainsaw won’t be practical for all
7. TC-Home Chainsaw Mill
Last but not least, we have the TC-Home Chainsaw mill. This is a relatively smaller mill. It weighs around 12 pounds, and the working width can be adjusted from 14″ to 21.5″.
This isn’t the widest one out there, but it’s great for smaller projects. It must be noted that the guide of the chainsaw must be at least 4″ bigger than the maximum width to reach it.
As for the thickness, this one’s capable of cutting slabs from ½” to 12″ of thickness. This will provide the user some flexibility when working on projects with fine details.
It’s a budget-friendly pick, which is why it’s a bit smaller than the rest of the mills on the market. However, it still provides some amazing features like the rest, making it a viable choice for those with budget constraints.
- Adjustable cutting depth from ½” to 12″ makes it great for small projects
- The steel runner on end brackets make it function smoothly
- You’ll be able to adjust the height and width for getting the right size
- The smaller form factor makes it one of the most portable grills
- Assembling this can take a lot of time despite the small size
These are the best chainsaw mills that you can buy right now. We’ve included mills from all budget ranges, so it’ll be easier for you to pick the right one for yourself, no matter what your budget is.
Moreover, we’ve also included the advantages and drawbacks of each of these products, making it easier for you to choose between two products of the same price range.